AVAILABLE NOW!!!!!


Sunday, November 4, 2007

Elitism

Well first let me thank my friend Gary for discussing and replying to my earlier post about Elitism. I don't know too many friends who will even listen to me talk about this let alone reply and discuss it. So I applaud you and welcome hopefully future discussions regarding writing and art.

I think Gary and I have cleared some things up in our previous discussion in my last blog. We largely agree that that genre literature has little or anything to do with a creative writing fiction workshop. I even co-sign your C.S. Lewis example.

So let me first start this new blog by addressing your final question:

My theory of elitism? I really haven’t thought much of it, but as soon as you asked my brain orgasmed (seriously). First let me start by saying it’s definitely one of the harder questions I have ever been asked. Up there with "what is art" which must be noted as being one fucking helluva loaded question.

Okay, my theory of elitism is simple (I hope). Any two bit fuck can write a story. It’s not hard to follow a sequence and create a story. The building blocks are simple and if you have a primary education you can successfully write. When I was in first grade I wrote my first story. I was fucking awful, but it was a story.

So, as we grow so does our knowledge in just about every aspect of the world. We learn and better understand our language; we are exposed to books, movies, and television, all which imbed within our minds bits and pieces of the building blocks of story telling, largely unbeknownst to us we file it away deep into our unconscious. Yes, I honestly think deep down everything we learn about writing and creating narrative is already embedded within our minds through our cultural experience. I really think most people (I’m talking decently educated people, at least with a high school education) all know what the dues-ex machina is. Granted they probably don’t know the fancy term used to coin it, but if they watch the Simpson’s then they have run across it in one of the tree house of horror episodes (amongst about a hundred other massive pop culture medias). If you’ve ever read Lemony Snicket or seen the multi million dollar movie then you have been exposed to the wonders of Meta-fiction. I promise you we all have been exposed to the panopticon, most people just don’t realize it. My point being: its there, you know it, you’ve been exposed to it, most people just don’t realize it.

Okay… maybe this isn’t that simple.

Elitism is the act of digging down deep and cultivating that unconscious knowledge and transforming it into tools to use as writers. Elitist acknowledge that there is more to writing a story then just a sequence of events that are played out through characters that ten year olds can create. They are aware of the underlying ideals, metaphors, theories, all those juicy things that are studied by critics. Elitists know of the multiple lenses you can read any given story with. They study literary theory to find awareness of these lenses, to pick apart stories past just the words on the page, to realize and acknowledge the literary devices used in said story to develop its narrative. They know of Marxism and post-structuralism. They seek out the knowledge and use it not only in reading and responding to texts but to develop and create that of their own.

I know people who have written amazing literary fiction without even understanding the theories they used, or missed out on strengthening the piece because they were unaware. Thus they have the knowledge imbedded in them, they just don’t know what the hell their tapping into.

Man… does this make sense?

Let me digress, my theory of Elitism is that those who seek out the knowledge will be the fore runners in using the myriad of tools that stem from them. You let me open up paint shop pro, and I may paint a little cute picture of a flower, but you give it to someone who has studied the program and they will make you something phenomenal.

This may have to be revisited in the future as my own knowledge expands. For I have neglected to discuss a few key elements of writing that I truly feel need to be brought in. You can be smart as fuck when it comes to literary theories, that doesn’t make you a phenomenal writing. There are some things that can not be taught such as creativity and control. Let me also say that the majority of elitist that I have come across (or those who claim the title of one) can’t write shit worth reading. They are indeed book smart, and they can tear your story a new ass hole, but when it comes down for them to deliver…. Well just wait and see I guess.

Let me go on to say at first, I fucking hated literary theory. But at the same point it was damn interesting. I will once again say I am not an elitist, but that I strive to become one. Hopefully someday…

I will totally agree with you saying that it will be a rough track that I will be pursuing. I will also second the notion that it is damn hard to create a series of fantasy novels that cover both the younger audience yet still appeasing the literary snobs. But let me argue by saying it is not impossible. The Wizard of Oz is a perfect example, and the first to really come to mind. I won’t strain myself to think of more.

I will say that the first novel of mine is not high art, or at least not to my knowledge. I started writing it before I became aware of this higher order of concerns. However it definitely plants the seeds towards many different paths for my characters to take. I have purposely used a lot of “myth” and for those who study and understand it there will be plenty to pick and chew apart. I have little doubt that I can potentially keep the gripping tale and still hit on some very interesting philosophies and personal statements. Hell the core of the series attacks the notion of creation and confronts it through the eyes of a kid. That alone has some heavy weight to it already.

I’m pretty blogged out as for now.

Kudos to Gary. I have read his stuff he has posted on his own blog and I really think it’s noteworthy for other writers to read. He has a great voice and style, and I will say from what I have already read he is not afraid to take his own unique stylist approach towards writing. Check him out

http://onthewickertable.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Gary Allen said...

Definitely an interesting theory.

I meant to reply immediately but I just walked the dog and have no maybe forgotten what I initially planned on writing, but I'll throw some stuff I do remember at you.

Theory is incredibly hard. I don't fully understand it most of the time. Apparently a friend of mine has essentially developed his own theory that our professor thinks is brilliant. Some people can really nail the theoretical stuff, others scrap by with understanding. At that, I'd guess to say I'm somewhere between, but it usually takes a couple of reads.

Anyhow: Elitism has a really terrible connotation. And while I think that your theory of it is sound--without a quick explanation most people will think your idea of you striving towards elitism is you striving towards the snobby-literary/writer type. I'm sure you know this person, the person whose head is full wrapped around literary theory but can't write (or can write) and is essentially brilliant and knows it and flaunts it and dangles that above other people. I think that to use the word elitism will imply this type of person rather than what you're going for. I'm not saying don't go for it, but like anything in this field, it might be a hard hill to climb to get you (that word) to where you want it to be.

As far as my style: Thanks. A lot of people imitate. My style isn't always akin to that which I've displayed on my blog. My novel (novella?) that I'm working on (with time--no rush, in fact, I don't really even like to use the term novel when describing it as it seems a bit pretentious) is definitely in an entirely different style than that of what's displayed on my blog. I just haven't gotten around to posting any of the bits of that. And since it's three separate, yet woven, narratives, it may not even be recognized as a project I'm working on. In fact, only one of three of the narratives is finished. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks Joe. I will definitely keep reading, it's definitely interesting and intriguing stuff, and I'm up for that.

Spence Diz said...

It's hard to hear the word elitist without being reminded of someone in my creative writing class who complained about the type of wine someone's character in a story was reading, or who thinks she always knows the best way to transition into a flashback. She however, also turns in the most mundane and underdeveloped stories I have read. The fact is, she may know some theory and be able to apply it onto other's peoples works, but falters when applying it to herself. That to me, is elitism, the thought that you know what is always right, and other's are always wrong. They are not open to criticism because they think that they are the end-all-be-all.

Hence, I'm not sure elitism is exactly the title you are looking towards. Like Gary said, it would be a hard hill to climb to escape that negative image that plays into people's heads when they hear the word. I feel like what you're looking for is more of a statement that you know your shit, but you want to be accessible to people of all ages, and to do both of those at the same time would be very hard indeed. Showing it in action would do much more than writing about it, not that your blogging (which is the first thing I've ever actually read of your writing) doesn't do a good job of that, and I'm frankly quite impressed by your writing. Because of it's accessibility and the ease that it takes to get through it I think labeling yourself as an elitist would be a great disservice to you.

J.L. Hickey said...

I agree that the word "elitist" often carries with it a negative connotation, however I have to argue that it is not because of their elitism that this gets wrapped up into. I have met a lot of elitists who are snobby little pricks, and if you suggest anything negative about heir narrative they simple blow you off as not understanding and beneath them. Yes, there are a lot of people like that, but to generalize and write off all of them as pricks is being a little near sited. I think it has more to do with a personality trait then anything else, they get all too cocky with their knowledge.

I know quite a number of elitist who are damn smart, know their shit but are passive/shy and class. They don’t have the persona to be outspoken, or they don’t need to have that feeling that they are smarter then the rest of the class. Most people don’t even realize how brilliant they are because they don’t fall into the stereotypical elitist negative connotation. I would honestly like to think I am close to elitism, I study this stuff outside of class and work at its understanding, however I offer positive criticism, I know the difference and I don’t want to isolate the other writers in my workshop. I don’t come off and say your shit is garbage (even if I do think it is). It’s the simple basic strategy you learn early one in work shops that seem to get throw away in these four hundred level classes.

I offer to ask you to change your understanding of elitism, maybe think of a new definition, or at least an altered one that I will attempt to put forth. True elitists master all accords of writing, or at least attempt to, they can blend literary theory and ideals with popular art. True elitists can write narratives and not push away the average reader yet still hold the higher art form for those adapt to it. I always said that what’s the point of writing an elitist paper that is swarming with these theories if you can’t connect with a larger audience to spread your agenda? A true elitist would be able to manipulate both into a stream of consciousness.

I will not argue that I too hate those elitists you have both described. Every class I get into its always this war between the elitists and the poppers. I’m always stuck somewhere in the middle, lobbying to connect the two together. Also, the majority of professors are going to fall into the elitist group. They are brilliant; they would not be teaching us if they were not. Granted some of them are pricks just like the students, I have been blessed to have had a many great professors who are level headed and easily engaging in conversation.

Maybe you’re right though. Maybe this idea of elitism I hold is not elitism at all. Maybe that cocky snobbish aspect is a defining point in the definition. Perhaps I am thinking of some type of related characteristic that needs its own name? I don’t know. I’m just one mediocre college student rambling when I should be studying for my Arthurian lit exam.

Also thanks for commenting spence bro.

Gary Allen said...

While I think redefining elitism would be a decent thing to do, I still don't think your theory (Joe) would really fall into the category.

I'm not sure what name it deserves or needs, but you I am a minor theorist. It's interesting more than it is easy.

nachturnis said...

Joe - I understand your theory, but you contradict yourself; first you say that people are automatically endowed with the powers of the machina, then you give the example of the flower, where the flower painter(said ignorant visionary)painted a wonderful flower, but the expert - who learned the program spruced it up into something special. I don't see the correlation.

My thoughts...

The machina theory is understandable. And I agree. I just don't agree to the extreme of someone sprucing up your work into a greater piece. I do, however, agree so far as to say, that untrained writers are the equivalent of a professional musician who has no formal training - is as natural a skill as playing the guitar. But to what degree are you so talented? Can you write a poem? Can you write a complex piece of prose that stands up to the complexities of The Stand or the Potter series? Or are you just good enough to get by to entertain your inner author as a hobby? See what I mean?

J.L. Hickey said...

Brian i may have misworded myself or you may have possibly misread what i was getting at. We all have the potential of this knowledge. the example of the paint shop program is just a way of explaining how if we take the time to develop those skills or at least not force them away from us when confronted with them then in time we can use them to our advantage.

I agree totally with you on degrees of talent, and it is my basis on the fact that just because you are well read and know of these theories does not mean you can write, there are also those outside factors i purposley did not dulve into as my head was already hurting lol such as the ability to be creative and use written lanuage well, some people just are not creative, its not something that can be easily learned if at all.

Also, im not so sure if i would even label what i am saying as a theory or what have you. This is more of a stream of conscious to which i am trying to learn and discuss these topics with others who share the same interests. I am glad you read this and added your imput. I beg you to continue reading and responding i know you yourself enjoy writing so i value everything you have to say.

I wont by any means say these are answers, but rather just rambles of mine to help the process of creativity. I would not be surprised to see my self contradict what i say a few more times in the future. Its because i lobby for both sides of the spectrum and i see the negatives and positives of both and i am still struggling to find who i am as a writer.

I guess stability is not in my inner artist definition.

Also, you should really think about picking up my book, i have gotten nothing but rave reviews from my peers. It really is a good read.